Using the SSVI Technique for Disaster and Emergency Preparedness
Natural hazards pose significant threats to Australian communities. Failing to identify and support the most vulnerable communities is a recipe for disaster. In this regard, the concept of social vulnerability has long emerged as a widely recognised way of assessing both the sensitivity of a population to natural hazards and its ability to respond andRead More
Opportunities for emergency management volunteers
We are proud to share an exciting opportunity available for volunteers in the emergency management sector. The Australian Institute for Disaster Resilience (AIDR) have just opened a round of the Emergency Management Volunteer Scholarships program. These scholarships support volunteers in the emergency and disaster management sector to access vocational and higher education in relevant fields.Read More
Bureau of Meteorology predicts possible cyclone, El Nino this Wet season
Long-range weather forecasters are warning Top Enders to brace themselves for another eventful Wet season with a possible cyclone and heavy rains predicted. The cyclone predictions come as clouds of uncertainty hang over when the Gunner Government plans to start putting power lines underground, six months after Cyclone Marcus left some 28,000 homes in theRead More
What emergency preparations should I make for my pet?
You know what to do in an emergency, right? You’d probably grab the photo albums, gather the pets and make a run for it. But have you really thought about how you’ll save your pets? It’s a great idea to have an emergency plan for the animals in your care, so you can give themRead More
Do you have ideas on how we respond to disasters?
Via MyPolice Rockhampton In times of disaster it can be difficult for government staff to access and assess areas that are hardest hit by a disaster, as basic infrastructure including roads, communication, electricity and water are often severely damaged. Disaster coordination centres and senior staff require real time data to assist, across multiple systems andRead More
Are we prepared for the deliberate use of chemical and biological materials in Australia?
By Dr Rebecca Hoile, Torrens Resilience Institute, World Health Organisation Collaborating Centre, Flinders University Effective response for an all-hazard emergency is underpinned by proper preparedness measures. Yet are we prepared for the deliberate use of chemical and biological materials? A deliberate event involving toxic and pathogenic agents fundamentally transforms the context in which public health,Read More
Join us at The Star Gold Coast this May!
The 2018 Australian and New Zealand Disaster and Emergency Management Conference will this year be held over the 21-22 May at The Star Gold Coast. The ANZDMC continues to grow in both size and reputation and this conference has evolved into the premium event of its type, facilitating professional development and the exchange of currentRead More
- Posted By Disaster Management
- 2018 Australian & New Zealand Disaster & Emergency Management Conference, Disaster & Emergency Management Conference, Disaster Conference, Disaster Management, Disaster Planning, Disaster Preparedness, disaster recovery, Disaster Reduction, disaster relief, disaster research, disaster resilience, Disaster Responder Program, disaster warning, Emergency Management, Emergency Management Australia, Emergency Management Conference, emergency management education, emergency planning, emergency preparedness, Emergency Response, Emergency Response Intelligence Capability, emergency service workers, Emergency Services, Emergency Servies
- 0 comment
Join us at the 2018 ANZ Disaster & Emergency Management Conference
Now in its 7th consecutive year, the 2018 Australian and New Zealand Disaster and Emergency Management Conference will this year be held over the 21-22 May at The Star Gold Coast. The ANZDMC continues to grow in both size and reputation and this conference has evolved into the premium event of its type, facilitating professionalRead More
- Posted By Disaster
- 2018 Australian & New Zealand Disaster & Emergency Management Conference, Disaster & Emergency Management Conference, Disaster Conference, Disaster Planning, Disaster Preparedness, Disaster Responder Program, Disaster Risk Reduction, Emergency Management Conference, emergency planning, emergency preparedness, Emergency Response, Emergency Servies
- 0 comment
Australian Defence Force to assist Commonwealth Games security operation
The Australian Defence Force (ADF) will assist Gold Coast authorities in ensuring the security of the 2018 Commonwealth Games. The ADF, who are responsible for Australia’s army, navy and air force, will deploy 1,000 personnel to help with the effort. Australian Federal Police and Australian Border Force will also assist the Queensland Police Service (QPS),Read More
- Posted By Disaster Management
- 2018 Commonwealth Games, Disaster Management, Disaster Planning, Disaster Preparedness, disaster research, Disaster Responder Program, Disaster Risk Reduction, emergency management education, emergency planning, emergency preparedness, Emergency Services, Gold Coast, Security
- 0 comment
Disaster Scenarios Guidance
It may sound ridiculous, but what if there was an earthquake in the centre of Albany? Or a cruise ship struck a reef off Middleton Beach and left an oil slick streaming into Princess Royal Harbour? These are just some of the hazard scenarios that feature in a recent risk assessment report conducted by theRead More